Muri Ghonto (Fish head with spicy rice)
By Arpita © 2016 Spicy World
Oct 23, 2015
In Bengali ceremony preparing any dish with fish head is a very good sign. There are plenty of dishes where they use fish head. But 'muri ghonto' is the delicacy of Bengal. I learned this dish from my mom. There are also some variations of muri ghonto. Some uses yellow lentil or flattened rice instead of gobindovog rice. But I prefer this dish what my mom used to make.
- 1 cup gobindovog / kalijeera rice.
- 1 potato cut into cubes.
- 2 fish heads (rohu / katla).
- 10-15 cashews and raisins.
- 3 Teaspoons turmeric powder.
- 1 Teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala powder.
- 1 Teaspoon red chili powder.
- Whole spices (4 green cardamoms, 1 bay leaf, 1 small cinnamon stick).
- 2 green chilies.
- 1 onion finely chopped.
- 1 Teaspoon ginger paste.
- Salt and sugar.
- 10 Teaspoons of white oil.
- 3 Teaspoons of ghee / clarified butter.
- 2 cups of hot water.
- Wash the rice well and soak in ½ cup of water for 30 minutes.
- Wash the fish head thoroughly and marinate with some salt, 2 Teaspoons turmeric powder for 10 minutes.
- Heat white oil in a pan. Fry both sides of the fish heads until golden brown. Keep aside.
- In the remaining oil fry potatoes, cashews and raisins gradually. Remove them from oil.
- Then add 2 Teaspoons ghee.
- Add whole spices and saute it for a minute.
- Now add chopped onion. Fry this until golden color.
- Then add ginger paste. Mix it for 3 minutes.
- Add green chilies, 3 Teaspoons salt, 1 Teaspoon sugar and above mentioned all powder. Mix very well for 3 minutes.
- Then add the soaked rice along with the water. Mix the rice with spices for 6 minutes.
- Then add fried potatoes, cashews, raisins and 2 cups of hot water. Mix and cover it for 5 minutes.
- Then add fried fish heads and cook this with cover for 8 minutes in slow flame.
- After that turn off the heat, add remaining ghee and reast it for 10 minutes.
Your Muri Ghonto is ready ...
- Enjoy this with chicken or any other curry ...
All Images and Recipes are copyrighted to Spicy World.
For more recipes visit us at http://spicyworld.in