By Arpita © 2020 Spicy World
Nov 1, 2015
Almost in every Bengali wedding they serve 'radhaballavi' along with 'aloor dom' as breakfast. 'Radhaballavi' is nothing but deep fried puffed bread stuffed with spicy lentil. It tastes even better with spicy curry and 'rosogolla'. There are many varieties of fried puffed bread like 'daalpuri', 'luchi', 'kochuri' etc and this one is also very tasty. Last night I made it along with potato curry and we all love it.
- For stuffing
- 1 cup of urad daal / biuli daal.
- 1 inch ginger.
- 1 green chilli.
- 1 Teaspoon asafoetida / hing.
- Spices (1 Teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 Teaspoon fennel seeds, 2 dry red chilies)
- Salt and sugar.
- 3 Tablespoons of white oil.
- For dough
- 2 cups of all purpose flour.
- 2 Teaspoons of white oil.
- Some warm water.
- White oil for deep frying.
- Wash and soak the daal for 3-4 hours.
- Then drain the water and grind it along with ginger and green chili to a semi smooth paste. You can add little water while grinding. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the spices for 5 minutes and grind them to fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat 3 tbsps white oil in a pan.
- Add asafoetida in hot oil. Mix it for 30 secs.
- Then add the mixture of daal. Keep stirring it for 15 minutes.
- Add salt, pinch of sugar and that spice powder. Mix it very well for another 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Take flour, salt and oil in a bowl. Mix these dry things very well.
- Then add little by little water and keep mixing with the flour. Make a semi soft dough.
- Knead it properly for 6 minutes. Apply some oil on the surface and let it rest covered with damp cloth fr and keep mixing with the flour. Make a semi soft dough.
- Knead it properly for 6 minutes. Apply some oil on the surface and let it rest covered with damp cloth for 20 minutes.
- First make lemon size balls out of the dough and then make small size balls out of the stuffing.
- Now take a dough ball, flatten it, put a stuffing ball in the center and then seal the edges.
- Apply some oil on the surface and flatten it gently to 2-3 inches with a rolling pin otherwise the stuffing will come out.
- Fry this bread in hot oil one by one. When it will puff up and golden in color, remove them in a paper towel.
Your Radhaballavi is ready ...
- Enjoy this hot with spicy potato curry ...
All Images and Recipes are copyrighted to Spicy World.
For more recipes visit us at http://spicyworld.in